Purpose of policy
We are committed to protecting your personal information and being transparent about what information we hold about you. Using personal information allows us to develop a better understanding of our audiences and supporters and in turn to provide you with relevant and timely information about the work that we do – both on and off stage. As a charity, it also helps us to engage with potential donors and supporters.
The purpose of this policy is to give you a clear explanation about how we collect and use the information we collect from you directly and from third parties. We use your information in accordance with all applicable laws concerning the protection of personal information.
This policy explains:
- What information we may collect about you
- How we may use that information
- In what situations we may disclose your details to third parties
- Information about how we keep your personal information secure, how we maintain it and your rights to be able to access it.
Who We are:
New Sussex Opera is a registered charity No.1185087 which was founded in 1978. It became a CIO in 2019.
We collect various types of information. For example when you register on our website and/or buy tickets we’ll store personal information you give us such as your name, email address, postal address and telephone number. We will also store a record of your purchases and donations.
There are three bases under which we may process your data:
- Contract purposes. When you make a purchase from us, you are entering into a contract with us. In order to perform this contract we need to process and store your data. For example we may need to contact you by email or telephone in the case of cancellation or change of a performance, or in the case of problems with your payment.
- Legitimate business interests. In certain situations we collect and process your personal for purposes that are in our legitimate organisational interests. However we only do this if there is no overriding prejudice to you by using your personal information in this way.
- With your explicit consent. For any situations where the two bases above are not appropriate, we will instead ask for your explicit consent before using your personal information in that specific situation.
We aim to communicate with you about the work that we do in ways that you find relevant and timely. To do this we use data that we have stored about you, such as what events you have booked for in the past, as well as any preferences you may have told us about.
We use our legitimate organisational interest as the legal basis for communications by post and email. In the case of postal mailings, you may object to receiving these at any time using the contact details at the end of this policy. In the case of email, we will give you an opportunity to opt out of receiving them during your first purchase with us. If you do not opt out, we will provide you with an option to unsubscribe in every email that we subsequently send you, or alternatively you can use the contact details at the end of this policy.
There are certain circumstances under which we may disclose your personal information to third parties. These are as follows:
- To our own service providers who process data on our behalf and on our instructions (for example our ticketing system provider). In these cases we require that these third parties comply strictly with our instructions and with data protection laws, for example around security of personal data.
- Where we are under a duty to disclose your personal information in order to comply with any legal obligation (for example to government bodies and law enforcement agencies).
Maintaining your personal information
- We store your personal information indefinitely such that for any subsequent purchases you make we are able to link them back to a single unique record that we hold for you on our system.
- If any of your contact details change please inform us using the contact details at the end of this policy.
- Any objections you make to any processing of your data will be stored against your record on our system so that we can comply with your requests.
Security of your personal information
We will put in place appropriate safeguards (both in terms of our procedures and the technology we use) to keep your personal information as secure as possible. We will ensure that any third parties we use for processing your personal information do the same. We will not transfer, process or store your data anywhere that is outside of the European Economic Area.
Your rights to your personal information
You have a right to request a copy of the personal information that we hold about you and to have any inaccuracies in this data corrected. Please use the contact details at the end of this policy if you would like to exercise this right.
Contact details and further information